Technip Singapore



My application for Technip KL didn't work out. Boohoo. I wonder who the lucky bastard is, the one who got the job! Talk about being really stringent with your criteria. hmph. anyways, that's all in the past. Just have to get up and look to the future.

So I have. I had another interview lined up. Technip Singapore responded to my application which I sent in a while ago, thanks to the dude (Yasmine). At the same time, I had another job offer from DHI Water and Environment. They had a pretty cool job spec but the salary was so miniscule I just couldn't believe with all the hard work I put in to get my degree, even high school teachers are getting tons more money than me! That's what I call bladdy unfair!

Unfair is when you work your a$$ off and you get pay that doesn't reflect the amount of hard work you'd put in through out uni.

Moving on. The interview was set on Monday. 10.30 am. 30th July. So, about 3 days ago. I was a nervous wreck, considering I hadn't really prepared for it, considering it was over the phone, and considering that the same company based in KL rejected my application! But hey, these things happen right, who knows if this time it'll be for the better? Magically, through God's will, I was given extra time to prepare since the interview was postponed to 1.30 pm. I used every second to pour through telephone interview tips on the net. I went over everything in my head. Took down some notes. Spread out my CV on the desk in front of me and looked through my transcript again and again.

For telephone interview tips go to About.com. They've got awesome advice.

It took them about 10-15 minutes to call my cell. About time coz I was getting seriously twitchy. The reception was really bad and I couldn't hear a thing so I asked them to do the interview over a land-line instead. Talk about room change at the last minute!!! I was rushing and running to get to the phone in the living room as well as hauling all the stuff I'd neatly spread out before. Phewh.. hard work I tell ya.

The interview took approximately half an hour. It was a panel of 2. Matthew quizzed me on some technical questions (RAO, roll, draft, basic naval arch stuff, what kind of software was I used to, what subjects did I like) and I answered everything clearly, and to the best of my ability. Mr SY, the other interviewer, would occasionally interject to ask about some personal questions e.g. why'd you choose this course to study, begging your pardon, you're a female. Would you be willing to relocate? What type of housing would suit you. We wrapped up with my asking them a few questions of my own such as working conditions, the difference btw Technip KL and Singapore, how many were they looking to hire for the job, and etc. Overall, it ended on a highly positive note. In fact, the room was resonating with a positive vibe towards the end of our session and, I had a really good feeling I'd aced this one ;)

Really brings me back to the good ol' days
Since I had a pending offer that was asking me to report for duty on Wednesday, I asked them to inform me of their decision as soon as possible to which they told me to expect the results the day after (meaning Tuesday). Late in the afternoon, after calling them up since I hadn't got any word from them all day, I finally got the phone call. Their verdict: We are pleased with your interview performance. Your communication was clear and coherent. You know your stuff (technical jargon and all that). So we want you on board! What we want to know is how keen are you to work with us? And of course my answer was a resounding Very, Very KEEN. (haha. won't Giles be proud of the use of this word?)



Today I finalized sending in all the documents to obtain an Employment Pass for working in Singapore. InshaAllah, He will make it easier for me. Sure, it's a bit far away from home, but let's face it, I can go back every weekend, it used to be a part of Malaysia for God's sake!



This entry was posted in

One Response so far.

  1. Unknown says:

    Hi :) I'm not sure if you still update your blog but i thought of giving it a try.

    I have a question regarding Technip. I went for an interview recently at their building, the one on Jln Tun Razak. And the interviewer told me that the outcome of the interview would come out between 2-3 weeks. But its been 3 weeks and I don't know if i should send an email asking or just wait.

    I saw on your previous entry u said you'll be waiting for 2 weeks, assuming that was what they told you, did they really get back to you within that period or you had to wait longer?

    And are you still in Technip Sg? :)