My soul sister

Let's go back to first year. We'd just arrived in Launceston. Seeing all these white people got me so insecure that I'd get tongue tied just trying to talk back to them. And I LOVED their accents. So different from the British and American slangs! There was a free barbeque happening at the courtyard beside the UTAS cafeteria. Of course, me and Din, being Malaysians! We're all for anything free. Especially if it's food! haha... We were hurrying over to see the live band playing and people sprawled on the green lawn. I noticed there was this girl walking behind us. She seemed hesitant to approach us. I noticed she was the only other girl in my engineering class. I was like 'she's all alone' turned around and then I blurted 'Hey, you're doing engineering too right?' and she instantly smiled and said, 'yeah'

That's when I first met Yasmine.

I discovered that she was an 'islander' from Vanuatu. She looked so... Malay. No kidding. And the thing that struck me most was how good her English was coz her national language was obviously not English. Oh yeah, this is when me and Din got to know Ho Wan Kim a.k.a. George! Our Korean friend! :) Ever since this fateful meeting, we'd been fast friends ever since. Me and Yasmine: inseparable!

To cut 2 years short, we moved out together with Khira and Camelia. Out in Mowbray. The thing about Yasmine is, she'd do whatever I did. I was never conscious about it. Like. When I'd buy a bike. She'd find herself one too. And whenever I found some good TV series to watch. She'd instantly get it. When no one else would. We'd be laughing our heads off at every funny reference in the IT crowd. 'Help! I'm disabled!' That was our running joke for practically the whole year. We'd always have this inside joke stemming from either IT crowd, Fringe or whichever series we decided to watch. After every stressful exam, we'd go to Pizza Hut to celebrate with a whole box of pizza. One for her, one for me.

I still remember how we'd be late coming back from the labs in the middle of the night. And she'd be that presence calmly riding her bike beside me. We'd be laughing or some such and she'd cycle so fast towards the end. and secretly I'd always think how on earth does she always beat me to the gates since my bike was obviously better than hers! So it's obviously the cyclist a.k.a. moi. It's funny how I think I'm faster than the average pedestrian but when it comes to another cyclist, I'd get beat. Talk about a blow to the ego. And then I'd confront her about leaving me behind and she'd say it's coz she's wearing shorts and her legs are freezing. So she needs to get back home really fast. And I'd be 'fair enough'. Yasmine and her shorts! haha.. so island la you!

Bit by bit, I got to know that Yasmine LOVED raggae. She could speak fluently in French!!! and she is an absolute CLEAN FREAK. and she is probably the most humble person I know. When she tells me that she was one of the two girls in her country that got a scholarship to study Engineering at AMC, I was like FTW! and she'd get embarrassed and not make a big deal about it. This is so opposite to me. I must admit that I appreciate what God has given me and it is something that we should be rightfully be proud of but of course not bordering on boasting-laaa

Okay. What's my most favorite memory of her? It's gotta be her infectious laugh. Especially when she starts to seriously laugh her head off at me and I'd get really pissed off. She'd laugh even harder and sometimes bend her knees coz she can't help it. Haha.. ohh Yasmine.. the dude. :')

I remember in first year, we'd compare the units we'd be taking for the next 3 years and I'd tell her how hard her subjects looked like. She'd be nodding and be so jealous of me. And now fast forward to the 3 years. The table's been turned. My units proved to be tougher than hers. ALL. OF. THEM. And we'd go 'remember in first year?' Who would've known right. That time, we were so in awe of our seniors who'd made it so far. and then there was OVD. The final year presentation for the Naval Architecture students in front of a huge crowd. Presenting such stuff as structures, seakeeping, resistance and propulsion, hydrostatics and everything that was so overwhelming to me at the time. I was practically shaking in my 'boots' that's how scared I was of the thought of arriving in final year and having to do OVD and present.
Last year, we were already in 3rd year. We went to OVD again. And Yasmine was giving me the look. And saying oooh...dude... can't wait to watch you next year! Then she'd smile her cat smile. And then I'd shut her up with a punch to her arm. Though technically, she'd laugh her head off again.

Yesterday. I presented my project for OVD. and Yasmine WASn't there....
The culmination of our years at AMC. And my best friend, my soul sister, was no where to be seen. 
I sent her a text to pray for me. I asked my mom and dad to make du'a for me too. And I'm sure Allah heard their prayers coz we had the best run ever in front of the audience. 

Yasmine didn't tell me she had to leave until a week before she had to fly back to Vanuatu. She said she didn't want me to know coz saying goodbye would be so hard. At first I wondered if I was reliving the nightmare I had from the year before where I dreamt she wouldn't be here for final year. It was deja vu. And to tell you the truth, I'd never cried so long and for so many days as I had after Yasmine confirmed that she'd be going back. That's how dear she was to me. She was my anchor, my partner in crime, my sister from another mother. The kindest, most sensitive soul ever. Thank you sis for making my time at AMC the best years of my life. May Allah reunite us again sometime in the future. Coz as I always tell you, you have got to check out my gorgeous husband!!! :')





This entry was posted in