September arriveth!

I'm scrunching up my brow trying fervently to conjure up something interesting to write about.
It hasn't hit me yet.

Probably I'll start with how my week went? How's that for a change? haha. Lame.

As futile and routine as it may be, I think I'll just settle for that then. I'll record something of what happened this week and the last. Let's start with recounting my experience as a foreigner working in Singapore.

Alright. My take, in terms of the number of eye opening realizations after having gone through the process:


  1. If you're a foreigner, you need an Employment Pass (EP) that acts as a formal permission for you to stay and live and work in Singapore. Getting an EP is quite the exercise; you need to do a medical check-up and then a whole raft of other things  i.e. record thumbprint, take a picture with a white background and etc. The process took me a whole two and a half weeks! But alhamdulillah, I also found out that this year, the government was reluctant to approve of EPs even for people who have  worked in Singapore for 2 years and still have to continue doing their work coz their on a project based assignment! 
  2. The government service over here is super efficient. There is almost zero waiting time and tons of people get processed in a matter of minutes. Since arriving, my respect and admiration for this country has increased a hundred fold. It's simply amazing how different it is over here compared to Malaysia and to think that what separates us is just a swath of the sea. 
  3. Transportation is NOT a problem AT ALL. The MRTs and LRTs always arrive on time. Everyone is civilized when queuing up to get into the trains. It's immaculately clean everywhere you go. And you can walk safely on the roads due to the zebra crossings and wide pavements. In short, this country's governance is way beyond ours.
  4. The standard of living in Singapore is just mindblowing. They don't need to go overseas. All the major or minor shopping malls have international brands from Australia, US, UK, Japan. They've got everything in one island. Isn't that amazing? I saw Sarpino's Pizza, which I ordered when I was in Chicago, when I was walking down Orchard Road. Then I recognized a few other US brands popping up all over the place. And then there's all the Japanese products everywhere. To me it's like I landed in shopping heaven! >.<
In short, Singapore is a world away from Malaysia, in terms of how developed their country is. I'm not saying that our country is bad. It's just that there's so many things we could learn from them. 

It's getting dark outside and the only light I'm getting is from my macbook. Guess it ends here.
O yeah. I just went shopping at Daiso. Had to physically and mentally restrain myself from overspending but I got some really good stuff in the end! 




This entry was posted in