BeLOVEd

My hijab - it covers every strand of my hair. No wisps sticking out. No hints on how long it is. What it looks like. It does not reveal my chest. It is colorful sometimes. somber at other times. But still I think it is inadequate.
My clothes - they are long. I try hard to choose the baggiest possible. Sometimes they are not. Sometimes the patterns on it will draw the eye to one part of the body I wish not to be seen. I think it still needs improvement
My jeans - jeans? synonymous with figure hugging, unless they're the baggy kind. I feel this part of my wardrobe is the one that needs the most make-over.

I look back at the mirror. I imagine going back to the time when the Prophet (peace be upon him) is still alive. I will feel ashamed. I will not present myself to him in these clothes. They are figure-hugging. Attention seeking. Pride inspiring.
I wish to speak to him, Allah's beloved. I wish to say to him, I am your ummah from akhir zaman. I wish to greet him, most perfect of creation, and say I strive to follow your sunnah. I wish to lay my eyes on this most beautiful human being and join him and his followers in jannat.
But how can I do this? I am clothed in these garments. Not befitting a muslimah. I wear what Westerners wear. Westerners who have forsaken religion.

I come back to the present.
o these trying times. Women are clothed but they seem to be unclothed.
I, a muslimah. I choose modesty over naked beauty. I seek Allah's approval over the general public's. I choose Islam over hedonism.

So I try my best each day. When the stars fall down from the sky and the ground turns to dust. When every living creature is called upon on the Last Day. To meet with the most High and most Great. I will want to look upon Allah's countenance and say, "I have been a devout follower of Your Beloved (peace be upon him), I have striven to adhere to ma'ruf and leave munkar. I have prayed the obligatory prayers. I have performed saum. I have given alms. I have gone to Makkah and stood near Your Majesty's house. Will you not then accept me as your faithful, loving 'abd? "

on that day, I hope I will rejoice upon hearing my Lord's reply.

This entry was posted in