Chicago, at last!

So. Where was I?
I got stuck in Shanghai. Finally boarded the plane on the next day albeit delayed timing. Headed straight to Chicago O'hare International Airport. The airplane was OK. Cummins booked me on United Airlines (which is a popular one in the US apparently) I had to get up a few times and stretch and go to the bathroom to make wudhu' and freshen up.
I was seated between a cute American Chinese boy (looked so much like my lil bro) and a Chinese guy who spoke good English and was kind enough to lend me his United earphones when I accidentally ripped mine off the socket (trying to make way for the cute boy to go to the loo)
The leg room wasn't anything to shout about. It was super cramped! I had to re-adjust my legs every now and then. Did some stretching in the seat too. Not a really comfortable experience I tell ya.
Didn't help that we entered the plane to see the business class seats all lined up with HUGE leg room and enviable space all to themselves. Since I missed my flight, my meals somehow got mis-placed too. It didn't get transferred so I was left without any food! but the flight attendants were really nice and scrounged up a meal for me consisting of left overs from the business class. In the end, I had to settle for some grapes, yoghurt and rice with peas. Better than nothing! I had a banana and a cookie after that.
Apart from some turbulence along the way, the journey was alright. I could feel my anticipation building once I saw American soil beneath me (out the plane's window)
Finally. Touch down.


Greeted by a South American at the Immigration who complimented me on my good English. No hassles there. Had a smooth experience right until I headed to check in for my next flight. Since United was delayed by 3 hours, they compensated us with free accommodation and meal vouchers worth 20 dollars. Booya! I used the 1st 10 dollar meal voucher for dinner at McDonalds (fish fillet set) and headed to Intercontinental for a night's stay via the complimentary hotel airport shuttle.


The interior deco in the Intercontinental was really cool. Sculptures were hanging off walls and the like. A few people were already ahead of me in the line. All of them had their luggage with them! I forgot to bring my iPod charger but was told that my room was equipped with an iPod dock. Talk about perfect timing!


The lobby was great. But the rooms were even better!



I got the HUGE bed all to myself.. wheee!!!! And see the iPod dock peeking at the left? Thank God. My iPod was already in the last stages of dying and it's my only hope of getting wi-fi IP addresses and the lot since my Macbook can't even do that. I got online after getting over the fact that I had to call the IT help-desk to resolve my connection problems when it was only a matter of last names and first names misunderstanding. They spelt my last name Mohamadpauzi. Figures.
My next destination: Charleston, South Carolina via United.


I said goodbye to the birds decorating my room first ;)



Super short stay in Chicago O'hare. I had to re-enter the airport and check in my luggage and print my ticket before I was clear to enter the gates. The TSA (Transport security of America) did a good job. I had to take off my belt, rings, shoes and stand in front of an X-ray box with my hands folded above my head before getting the OK. No hassle. No animosity. So unlike Australian immigration where it was super obvious they singled me out just because I was wearing hijab! Americans were super non-chalant about it. and away to Charleston I go! I used my last voucher to get some tuna and salmon wraps for brunch. So much win not having to spend a single penny on food! ;D



This entry was posted in